The Spark Detection System
Seldom does a new player enter a market armed with a combination of superior product quality and better economics, but that is exactly what Atexon’s innovative technology can deliver against the competition. Nobel Fire Systems is proud to be the exclusive distributor in the UK.
Atexon® is an innovative spark detection and environmentally friendly extinguishing system for industrial processes, designed to stop ignition sources from getting into dust explosion hazardous areas, such as silos and filters. Extremely fast and sensitive spark detectors detect ignition sources in a millisecond and start the extinguishing agent.
Globally, Atexon® has fire proofed 2,500+ industrial processes over 15 years from several different industrial sectors that routinely handle explosive dust or powders. Customers include manufacturing companies that work in wood, metal, paper, food, bioenergy, recycling, textile and fibre-reinforced plastic industries.
Spark extinguishing is most commonly achieved using water but other potential solutions include watermist, carbon dioxide, condensed aerosols and/or various other electronically controlled devices.
Advanced Spark Detection Technology – Atexon V300EX
The patented V300EX spark detection family offers supreme detection technology for fast fire prevention. The extra wide field of view and detection spectrum and daylight filter make it possible to use the detector in a wider range of working conditions.
- 180° field of view
- Detects light-emitting sparks
- Detects coal heat even under 300 °C
- Low and protected lens construction
- ATEX approved model for zone categories 20, 21 and 22
- Model VF300EX includes a daylight filter
Protecting Dust Collection Systems
Dust collection systems are the archetypal application for spark detection protection.
Explosive dust-air mixtures often form inside dust extraction systems. Such mixtures
can be ignited by sparks, embers, hot objects or static electricity.
Usually these ignition sources are caused by a damaged blade, a wedged foreign object, resin collected on the fan blades or poor machine grounding. In the mechanical wood working industry, as many as half of all fires are caused by an overheated machine due to bearing failures or blocked ducts in the fan.
A dust explosion and burning material can advance into a dust silo or travel backwards through a return air duct into the production area. All dust collection system fires pose a grave danger to employees and usually cause a lengthy production outage. Large factory fires are also a concern for insurance companies, who indicate that filters, dust collection bins and silos are the areas at greatest risk.
Additional applications where Atexon® can provide protection include wood processing planers, sawmill trimmers, pellet pressing, crushers, and the conveyors and elevators found at ports that handle large volumes of material flow.
Mounting principle of the spark detection and fire extinguishing system
- The spark detectors detect the ignition sources in a millisecond.
- The extinguishing unit extinguishes sparks and embers with a small amount of water.
- The signal router guides and monitors the extinguishing event.
- The VR18Z control panel monitors the whole system.
- The signal device gives alarms using a combined strobe/sounder.
- The blower controller stops the blowers in case of overheating or a spark shower.
- The overheat sensing cable monitors the blower bearings and the blower perimeter
- The pressure booster controller guides the water pump and the heat tracing cables
- The pressure booster ensures airless extinguishing water with correct pressure.
MDF, OSB, Particle Board and Plywood.
Flooring, Furniture and Sawmills.
Manufacturing, Processing and Metalworking.
Packaging, Paper and Pulp.
Tissue Converting & Manufacturing and Air-laid.
Nappies, Incontinence and Sanitary Pads.
Metal, Paper, Sludge Drying, Waste and Wood.
Heat & Power Plants and Pellet Production.
Coal, Power Plants, Turbines and Wind Mills.
Animal Feed, Food Processing, Cacao, Cereal, Coffee, Grain and Sugar.
Cigarettes, Cigarette Filters, Moist Snuff and Tobacco Dryers.
Ports & Logistics Terminals.
Chemicals / Oil Refineries / Pharmaceutical / Powder Coating / Printing / Rubber and Plastics / Textiles